Strange mouse behavior on simple, fast click

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Sep 17 12:22:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 11:58 +0000, John wrote:
> That doesn't make sense to me. Red Hat's been confugiring USB mice for
> years, whether they were there or not. I think, back whe I used a 2.3
> kernel to get USB support so I could use my trackball. As I recall, I
> just plugged it in and it worked (I'd already built the kernel), thouhg
> I can't think why RH would have configured USB in XFree86 when the
> kernel didn't support it.

Until 2.6, ps/2 mouse events weren't sent to /dev/input/mice. They are
now, so there's no need to read /dev/psaux as well.

> I do know that right now I have Sarge running with two rodents and both
> work. Simultaneously if I want. One's USB, the other PS/2.

There's no problem with that setup, but the correct configuration with a
2.6 kernel is to only read from /dev/input/mice. Otherwise, any ps/2
events will be read twice.

Yes, I know Sarge doesn't configure it like that. It's a bug.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org