modules and configuration

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sun Oct 31 18:35:30 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 09:37:57AM -0500, Brian Barr wrote:

> It works, but is not the most user friendly choice.  During the install,
> hardware detection found 2 ethernet cards and asked me which one it should
> use.  Why can't a similar thing be done for the sound cards?

It could, but it isn't, and I don't think it should be, either.  This is
something which should be configured in the desktop preferences, not during
installation.

> > /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modutils are obsolete, used for 2.4 kernels.
> > That should simplify things for you considerably. :-)
>
> Well, it does to some extent.  I wonder why, when the default install of
> Warty has a 2.6 kernel, I have /etc/modutils and /etc/modules.conf there
> at all?

Some users choose to use (unsupported) 2.4 kernels, and providing these
backward-compatibility tools prevents the user from inadvertently making
their system unbootable by doing so.

> > The simplest and most robust method would be to disable it in the BIOS
> > Setup on your system.  Then the PCI card will automatically become the
> > primary sound device.
>
> It would still be handy to have a wiki page that describes the boot
> procedure, and what the scripts in /etc/rcS.d are responsible for.

Yes, that would be useful for some.  Perhaps you would be interested in
writing such a page?

--
 - mdz