modules and configuration

Brian Barr barr at coastal.ufl.edu
Sun Oct 31 14:37:57 UTC 2004

First off, thanks for all the suggestions.  I used Matt's advice and turned  off the on-board audio in the BIOS ( I never even looked for such an option...</me slaps head>).  It works, but is not the most user friendly choice.  During the install, hardware detection found 2 ethernet cards and asked me which one it should use.  Why can't a similar thing be done for the sound cards?

> /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modutils are obsolete, used for 2.4 kernels.
> That should simplify things for you considerably. :-)

Well, it does to some extent.  I wonder why, when the default install of Warty has a 2.6 kernel, I have /etc/modutils and /etc/modules.conf there at all?

> The simplest and most robust method would be to disable it in the BIOS Setup
> on your system.  Then the PCI card will automatically become the primary
> sound device.

It would still be handy to have a wiki page that describes the boot procedure, and what the scripts in /etc/rcS.d are responsible for.