Speedtouch

Matthew Laver matthew at laver.wanadoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 31 18:21:21 UTC 2004

 >Subject: Accessing the Internet with a Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL modem
 >
 >A last issue, configuring Linux to use such a modem for the first time
 >is not a trivial task, is there, or are you planning to provide in the
 >future a simpler way to do it?
 >
 >I've already done it before so it was easy, but here is what's needed, I
 >think even someone with good Linux knowledge would not call it obvious,
 >let alone someone new to Linux/Unix...

This was written to the list by a 'Nuno Ferreira' who has a very valid
point. The first thing I have to do or indeed any of us has to do, when
we first setup our Linux box, is to get on line.  Why this is such a
pain for one of the most common  modems in use today is beyond me.  I am
the 'someone new to Linux/unix' above and luckily my desire for a good
solid working computer has kept me going even though getting my modem to
work has had me pulling my hair out.

There must be a simpler way.

Every problem I have had so far with Ubuntu I have asked questions of
the team and had really amazing answers that have always made me go ...
duh of course... and so i was hoping for you guys to work your magic
again this time.

I tried the Ubuntu package available on 'universe' and it definitely got
the modem working but not much else ... I then tried the speedtouchconf
script which has always worked in the past.  The two methods seem to
work together to get the job done but I always have to mess around with
it whenever i boot up and run the script again.

Anyway I leave it in your capable hands ... maybe a How To on the wiki
page or setup script with the 'universe' package tailored for Ubuntu!

Thanks for your time and your wonderful distro

Matthew Laver