Tips: Faster Download of Warty CD with Jigdo

Jim Cheetham jim at iNode.co.nz
Thu Oct 21 23:01:20 UTC 2004

I'm keeping the latest ISO file hanging around on disk, not on CD (no
point burning it until someone wants it)

So I just mounted the iso image (onto a directory called wartyCD), and
used jigdo to scan that ... ;-)

$ ls
warty-i386.iso
wartyCD/
$ mount -o loop warty-i386.iso wartyCD
$ jigdo-lite ...

However, I'm not sure that jigdo is "more efficient" than rsync'ing the
image file, because if a package has been upgraded, you need to download
the entire new package - even if 99% of it was identical to the one you
had. Can apt be asked to use rsync to get a new package? (i.e. copy the
old .deb to the new version's name (in a temp location), rsync the new
.deb, then move into the pool and process as normal?)

I can see that if I had a large number of machines updating, and using a
big http cache or even a mirror, then jigdo would be reasonably
efficient ... and certainly "lots of small transfers" is more robust for
small/unreliable net connections ... but is rsync more efficient?

-jim