Ubuntu community meeting on artwork: Monday 18 October, 1400 UTC on #ubuntu

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Sat Oct 16 13:48:20 UTC 2004

Hi

On Sat, October 16, 2004 3:26, Richard Morrell said:
> backend with the site, the ethos and the intelligent use of engineering at
> every level.

and the ethos of literally the very core of the project - it's name, means
humanity. There is, therefore, a sort of irony in asking for pictures of
people to be removed, imo.

In some ways I think this decision is going to be an interesting test of
Ubuntu. I think it's pretty clear that there's nothing *wrong* with the
picture - it's tasteful - but there are various levels of "moral
conservatism" that affect opinions on openly showing images like this.

So will Ubuntu make the case that this imagery was chosen to represent
their core ethos (if that is the case) and stand by it, or take a more
pragmatic approach and go for market share?

I lean towards keeping it, or some humanity themed image at least. At the
same time I would like the issue to go away quickly so we can focus on
making ubuntu a better distro :)

wishing for a swift and final resolution in either direction,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net
   www.tenshu.net