Community response of new ubuntu artwork

Matthew Davidson mjd at almatech.net.au
Thu Oct 14 00:44:00 UTC 2004

May I suggest an approach similar to the way that the fortunes databases
are packaged?  i.e. fortunes (main database) and fortunes-off (things
that might be considered offensive).

Perhaps we could have a choice of ubuntu-artwork or
ubuntu-artwork-conservative.  I know this potentially adds one more
choice at install time, but so many people are finding this problematic,
that I think it's even a feature that could be considered a plus in
promoting Ubuntu.

I'm yet another "it doesn't bother me, I'm an atheist anyway, and human
bodies (my own excluded) can be quite attractive" voice, but I know in
my own western, secular, multicultural neck of the woods, a lot of
people would be either be put off by the threat of content unacceptable
to them installing itself on their computer, or alternatively reassured
by having the option of guaranteeing that won't happen.

I think the pictures are fine, and am all for artistic freedom, but my
computer isn't somebody else's art gallery.  I'd be upset if my splash
screen suddenly featured a tribute to Ronald Reagan, or a reminder that
Jesus loves me.

I know the Ubuntu philosophy enters into this issue, but I think at this
stage it's probably more important to make the ethical argument of "your
software should be free" than "your software should be culturally
permissive".  I certainly don't disagree with the latter, but I don't
think it should interfere with the former.

Matthew.

--
Alma Technology
http://www.almatech.net.au