Info on kernel choice

Oliver Grawert hostmaster at grawert.net
Wed Oct 13 14:28:25 UTC 2004

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 13.10.2004, 10:02 -0400 schrieb de Selby:
> FYI, I'm running Ubuntu on a Toshiba laptop with a Pentium Celeron
> processor - I imagine any of the above choices would work, but how do
> I decide which is best?.
the -k7 variants are optimized for amd processors, the -386 is running
on everything thats intel compatible since 386 (so it's more a generic
kernel) and the -686 are suggested for
newer intels (PII,PIII, celeron, etc....). the smp flag means that this
cpu has symmetrical multiprocessing enabled, it's for systems with more
than one processor.

so if you run a celeron, the -686 series (without smp) should just fit
fine for you.

ciao
	oli
--