Unofficial Ubuntu Faq?

Oliver Grawert hostmaster at grawert.net
Wed Oct 13 12:03:45 UTC 2004

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 13.10.2004, 12:36 +0100 schrieb Ben Edwards:
> I aggree regarding the watering down but have a couple of observations.
>
> Firstly I do not think wiki is necessarily the best resource for
> solving technical problems.  I would prefer a well structured
> knowledge base where a problem, solution and scope (i.e. open office,
> skype, installing samba) can be submitted using a simple form.
where is the prob here, there is a fulltext search option in the wiki,
you'll find everything you search for. if you actually use it.

> Secondly unofficial sites are smiler to the issue of branching, I
> myself am a bit miffed that over a week ago one on the conacal lot
> said they would get a doc email list set up and this has not happened
> (I did send a follow up email).
but you know they prepared a release for today during this week ???

>  I actually have a list server -
> basically if people are not happy with the status quo - and don't have
> any luck with the official channel - they will do there own thing.
> Don't get me wrong - conical are doing a sterling job - I just think
> for a desktop distro documentation is as important as the technical
> stuff  and actually can often be a short term solution to getting
> round technical problems (i.e. workarounds in a knowledge base) - i
> see a knowledge base as a core part of the documentation.
it's a busy time for canonical, i personally run my own server and would
be able to run a listserver there, but if canonical tells  they will set
something up and please  not to run own lists at this time, i will
respect this, if there is a bit more time on their side there also will
be a bb solution and they just proved how seriously you can take them
(i.e. by matching their timeschedule for the release).

i think its very sad that the guy who runs the inofficial sites obiously
doesn't like to be integrated in the community (out of his
impatience).....we shouldn't split up yet.

ciao
	oli

--
got ubuntu ? --------------> GET UBUNTU !!!