LCD screen "melting" in X

Andr'e Kuntze vision.mail at gmx.net
Wed Oct 13 11:45:48 UTC 2004

Hi there,

first i have to say that i had this problem with another distribution
and i know that the fglrx driver is not officially supported but here
are so many competent people that i had to post my issues again.

So here we go:

I have a DELL Inspiron 8600 including a ATI Radeon 9600 (mobile) and a
1920x1200 widescreen LCD.

The card is supported by the ATI drivers but when i install the drivers
and enter "fglrx" instead of "ati" in the XF86Config-4 i get serious
problems. When X starts the screen fades to wide and than to some other
colors. Looks like a pretty cool screensaver which i would call "Living
in the 70s -- LSD involved" or something ;-) The only problem is that
this won't go away. The system doesn't freeze or anything but you won't
get a proper screen displayed.

Switching to a console i get a normal text mode but switching back to X
it starts to melt again.

I really have no idea what i am doing wrong or what i could change.

Any suggestions?? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance
André