using vino/vncviewer

Thomas Beckett Thomas.Beckett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 13:29:04 UTC 2004

Ive been fiddling around with this myself:

Firstly you need to make your router forward the correct port(s) to
your machine running ubuntu. You need to forward port 5900 from the
router to the IP address of your linux machine:

External port start: 5900
External Por end: 5900
Internal port: 5900
Internal IP: <IPaddress of your linux machine eg. 10.0.0.7 or 192.168.0.4>

Now whenever you want to connect to your ubuntu machine you need to
point your vnc client tothe IP address of your router - it will then
forward them on to your local linux box. Note that this will require
you to be logged on already to your account on ubuntu. If you want a
full login try looking into XDMCP that allows you to remotely access
the GDM login screen.

The specifics of port forwarding on your router depend on which router
you are using.
Also - If you have a Firewall on your router you will need to alter
the policy to allow incoming and outgoing connections to port 5900

As for the problem of multiple windows within windows when you connect
to lcoalhost - this is because you are conencting to yourself from
yourself. - Its ratehr like looking in a big mirror with another big
mirror behind you and they seem to go on forever. If you conenct from
a remote computer you will be fine.
One thing to bear in mind is that you may still not be able to conect
if your uni stops conenctions on this port (many will). If this
happens you could try altering vino - or installing and running
xvncsever to run on say port 80 (providing you dont run a web server
on your linux box) you willthen need to forward port 80 to your
internal linux machine and connect yourvnc client to that. The reason
being that you will almost always be able to connect on port 80 as it
is used for web browsing. The downside is that you cannot run apache
to serve web pages on that port at the same time.

Hoep this helps.
Tom