using vino/vncviewer

Craig Bladow tmr0 at freeshell.org
Tue Oct 12 01:55:59 UTC 2004

Crash course on using sshd to secure vnc.  There are other options and
ways to do this but this is what works for me.

>From Applications->System Tools->Root terminal:

1.  apt-get install sshd
2.  edit /etc/hosts.allow
    add the lines (if not present):
    ALL:  127.0.0.1
    sshd:   remote.ip.add.ress1  remote.ip.add.ress2

3.  /etc/init.d/inetd restart

4.  From Applications->System Tools->Terminal

    Test by logging in:  ssh localhost
    you should get a password prompt and login.  Type: exit

    You can also test from another computer on your local network.

>From Applications->System Tools->Root terminal:

5.  edit /etc/hosts.deny
    add the line (if not present):
    ALL:  ALL

6.   /etc/init.d/inetd restart

7.   Test again as described in step 4.

8.   Configure your router to forward port 22 to the ip address of your
machine.

9.   From a remote machine use ssh (or Putty if on Windows) to connect
to the external ip address of your router.

   For *nix or cygwin create/edit a file called 'config' in your
home/username/.ssh directory

   config contains:

   host mycoolsshservername
     hostname ip.add.ress.here
     port 22
     user myusernamehere
     compression yes
     localforward 5900 localhost:5900
     localforward 5901 localhost:5901

  After you save your config file type:  ssh mycoolsshservername

  There is also a way to put all that on the command line see: man ssh

  In putty (I'm doing this from memory) you want to set up the ip
address, select ssh and then create a tunnel that forwards a local vnc
port e.g. 5900 or 5901 to the Ubuntu machine's ip address which can be
localhost or 127.0.0.1 or the internal ip address.

After you have made the ssh connection start vncviewer and point it to
localhost:0  or localhost:1  you should be prompted for your vncserver
password.

Notes:
  Be sure to go the route of hosts.allow and hosts.deny to limit the ip
addresses that are allowed to connect to your server.

Hope this helps (and that I didn't miss anything)

Craig Bladow

--
Craig Bladow <tmr0 at freeshell.org>