"Synaptic Package Manager" - Perhaps a more obvious name?

Tristan Rhodes tristan at witenko.com
Sun Oct 10 21:54:17 UTC 2004

I just wanted to suggest using a more intuitive name for "Synaptic Package Manager".  The main
reason is that non-linux users will not understand that "package"="software application".

Perhaps something like...

"Add/Remove/Update Software"
"Install/Remove/Update Applications"

Or any other name, along the same idea.

Most users do not need to know the name of the application "Synaptic". For instance, on the menu
system do we tell users that the file-browser is "Nautilus", the Text Editor is "gEdit", "Four in a
Row" is "Gnect", or that the Calculator is "Gcalctool"?  I don't see the value of including the name
Synaptic (even though I agree that it is a cool name).

Tristan Rhodes