Installing software from web

Rob Diehl diehlr at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 1 18:59:10 UTC 2004

I think work could be done to facilitate easier installation of
"unofficial" packages. While it is true you could comprimise security by
installing untrusted packages, my argument is the user should be able to
download whatever he/she wants. Too much sanitizing of available
software can be a bad thing, but that's just my opinion. I've been
thinking of how to facilitate easier software installation without
comprimising security too much, and came up with these ideas:

1) Firefox extension that lets you right-click on a .deb package within
a repository, and have the extension automatically parse the URL and
send the repository info to apt. Something that says like "Install
software package". Extension pops up a password box prior to running apt
  to authenticate.

2) Firefox extension to auto-parse a URL and add the repository to apt.
Right click -> "Add to Repository". Pop-up a password box for
authentication. Then the user would proceed to use existing apt /
synaptic tools and browse the new added repository.

Anybody have any other ideas?