ML Donkey anyone ??

Trouilliez Vincent vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Sun Nov 28 09:38:44 UTC 2004

> I got a headache trying to get the GUI to work - and didn't succeed.

? That's bad. Once downloaded with Synpatic, I only had to start the
back-end by typing 'mlnet' in a terminal, then starting the GUI by
typing 'mlgui' in another terminal and it worked fine...

> I have twelve downloads going on and I'm connected to Donkey and G2
> (Gnutella2?). Should these be called networks or servers? It says on my
> screen that I'm "Connected to 4 servers on the Donkey network" and
> "Connected to 4 servers on the G2 network". As you can see I'm new to
> this file sharing thing.

I am fairly new to P2P too, only used very occasionally.

Edonkey and Gnutella are 'networks', each of them containing containing
thouands of 'servers'. A 'server' being any personal computer connected
to said network, who made his local file public. So, as soon as you
start MLDonkey, you become a 'server'.
That's my very limited understand of the system...probably all BS ;o)
And I don't understand why there are several networks. Since they all do
the same thing, would be much easier to have one network, rather having
things like MLDonkey that have to manage 7 different networks...

Vince