'updatedb' : is it really mandatory, can I switch it off and how ?!

Trouilliez Vincent vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 27 07:58:44 UTC 2004

> "updatedb" on the other hand can be disabled. Check out your crontabs, maybe it is set up as a cron job.

Okay, think I found it.

In the folder " /etc/cron.daily " there are 9 scripts.  One is called
'slocate' which starts updatedb, and another is 'find.noslocate" which
is also related to updatedb.

So if I want stop updatedb, do I just have to delete these two files ?
And instead of deleting them, would it be sufficient to just remove the
executable permission ? Or would that generate an error ?

Vince