'updatedb' : is it really mandatory, can I switch it off and how ?!

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Sat Nov 27 08:20:39 UTC 2004

Trouilliez Vincent(vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr)@Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 08:58:44AM +0100:

> So if I want stop updatedb, do I just have to delete these two files ?
> And instead of deleting them, would it be sufficient to just remove the
> executable permission ? Or would that generate an error ?

Alright, firstly I don't recommend you disable updatedb at all, but if
you insist the best way is to simply comment out the relevant command
from the crontab (or delete the line in that crontab).  Deleting the
files would be bad ... especially if you later change your mind and
decide you want to use either the "locate" or "which" commands.

By the way, if you install a new binary (even into an existing path,
like /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin) you will not be able to get tab
completion of the binary name unless you run updatedb.

On my systems I usually have it run once per day in the early hours of
the morning (4:40am).

Regards,
Ben