DVD playback slow

Andreas Dittrich dittrich at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Nov 26 09:10:28 UTC 2004

Andreas Dittrich wrote on 16.11.2004 18:13 Uhr:
> Julio Biason wrote on 16.11.2004 2:06 Uhr:
>
>>> About most of the load while playing dvds is X-Usage (60-70% of 100%
>>> load). Divx and Xvid works flawlessly and I know my system was
>>> capable of playing DVDs on Mandrake.
>>
>> Have you tried using sdl as video out?  (mplayer -vo sdl)
>
> I did and it didn't help it. xvinfo gives me output so I think xv is the
> way to go. A p700 should easily play dvds as I did play them on slower
> systems. Maybe some kernel options not activated? I'm pretty clueless
> atm :-(

Just to report back on that topic I tried various other Linux-Distros
and the problem is the same on all of them, wether with kernel 2.4 oder
2.6.7-2.6.9. I guess it's some serious oem-board issue with Linux since
there are no problems on Windows :-\

> And my girlfriend is going to switch back to windows if she can't watch
> DVDs... aaaarrrrg ;-)

That's what she does now, dual-booting to watch DVDs, what a shame....
and the weird thing is her old machine was slower but could play her
dvds. Whatever...

Andreas