How to stop unwanted servrices during boot

Le grand pinguin rm at mh-freiburg.de
Tue Nov 16 17:24:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 06:07:20PM +0100, Wouter Eerdekens wrote:

> Agreed, but we don't have this at the moment. And manually editing
> initscripts seems as bad as a chmod -x.

Really? I think there's quite a difference here: editing initscipts
not only is an operation that can be traced both by the installation
(because configuration files have md5 sums and changes are detected)
and the user (diff -u bla-init bla-init.dpkg-dist). These changes
are _visible_ - much more than a changed bit in the filesystem.
Also, let's not forget, the init process uses the runlevel links and
(in this case) unfortunately one can set the exec permission for the
link as well ... lot's of chances for this hack to fail (others would
be a update where the package is removed and then newly installed etc.).

> The original post was a question
> on how to to this _now_, not what the cleanest future implementation was.
> So right now, I'd still go for the chmod 'hack'.

Just add ' echo "Not starting by your request" & exit 0 '
That can't be that hard? :-)

 RalfD