OSS

Oliver Grawert hostmaster at grawert.net
Mon Nov 15 15:13:04 UTC 2004

hi,
Am Montag, den 15.11.2004, 09:51 -0500 schrieb Bryan Pizzuti:
> Ok, so wait a sec...why is it compiled into the Ubuntu kernel? ;)  Or
> maybe something with the detection just got screwey...my GNOME volume
> control shows an OSS audio device (Analog Devices AD1981B) and several
> apps aren't playing sound...maybe they're trying to access this OSS
> device, which I doubt exists.

as chris wrote above, there is a compatibility layer inbetween, if you
do a 'lsmod|grep snd' your will notice a snd-pcm-oss and a snd-mixer-oss
module which provide the oss emu of alsa for backwards compatibility
(and cause a second mixer device as you noticed)....

if you want to get the silent apps working, try to point them to esd
where possible.....(the soundserver is there for caring for multiple
inputs that have to go to only one output without blocking the device)

ciao
	oli

--
got ubuntu ? -----------> GET UBUNTU !!!