network-admin vs. /etc/hosts

Jeramy Rutley jrutley at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 20:23:53 UTC 2004

I attempted to file this as a low-priority Bugzilla entry, but
gnome-system-tools has "unknown" in the Assign To field.

network-admin overwrites entries strangely in /etc/hosts

I put this ad-blocking file on every computer I use, located at
http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
I then take the host file and append everything past the
"127.0.0.1 localhost #this is not an ad server this is your PC" line
to the end of my current /etc/hosts file.

This works fine until I run network-admin for anything.
Run sudo network-admin, and click OK (to exit).  The /etc/hosts file
is now completely mangled.

Should I have posted this to the developers' list?
Anyway, for anyone reading this, enjoy (mostly) ad-free web surfing!