Pre-Install program

Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN Delbert.Hudson at LOSANGELES.AF.MIL
Wed Nov 10 16:04:16 UTC 2004

Wim,

first off, i agree 100% with sebastian.

just out of curiosity, to what would performing this 'miraculous' conversion
accomplish. it also has the insidious feel of tool for data gathering or
mining
for some less than wholesome use later on. i would NOT feel comfortable with
having such a piece of code peruse my hd's, not to mention that in certain
environments such as in my ofc such an operation would have major security
policy implications.

it just sounds like a way to avoid {re: lazy] traversing learning curves.

sorry just dont like the idea.

~piranha

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
[mailto:ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com]On Behalf Of Sebastian
Beschke
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 7:54 AM
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: Pre-Install program

Hi.

Wim Vriend wrote:
> Hello,
> Is it maybe an idea to make a program for ubuntu that's searching on a
> harddisk for e-mail's, email addresses, photographs, MS office documents
> etc, etc. Convert the e-mails to a suitable format for Evolution, MS
> office documents for Open Office, Photoshop and Corel Draw documents for
> the The Gimp etc, etc. Putting those things together in a tarball and
> make it ready for burning to CD. After the install of ubuntu you put
> that DATA CD in the computer and all the collected data is automatically
> installed in the richt directory's.
>
> I think that such a program makes it easier for many people to switch
> from windows to ubuntu. It is also a big help if you want to re-install
> you're distro.

Would you really trust such a program with converting and collecting
*all* your data automatically? I wouldn't.

Plus, automatically converting everything to an "open source" format is
a strange attitude. Probably (and very likely) our new user likes
Photoshop a lot better than the Gimp (I know I do). So you should allow
him to keep it!

-Sebastian