Booting Warty on a Beige G3 Tower

Dave Miller justdave at canonical.com
Tue Nov 2 09:46:34 UTC 2004

Ubence Quevedo wrote:

>     I am having some difficulty with Warty and my beige PowerMac G3.  I
> have successfully installed Warty off of CD using Boot X 1.2.2.  Install
> seems to go well until the point where you have to reboot, and boot into
> Warty.  I pulled the boot kernel file from another PPC system [Graphite
> iMac], vmlinux-2.6.8.1-3.powerpc, and placed it in the “Linux Kernels”
> folder at the root of my OS 9 System Folder.  From what the installer
> said, root was located at /dev/hda2.  In Boot X, you can fill in /dev/
> [XXX] where XXX is the corresponding partition on the device where linux
> is installed.  I inputted hda2, selected the 2.6.8.1 kernel from the
> pull down menu in Boot X.  I thought that this would work.  It did not.

> I guess what I’m asking, has anyone successfully gotten Warty installed
> on this type of system [if it is even possible], and if so, how did you
> go about doing it?  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

I have Ubuntu on my desktop Beige G3, and it's working fine.  Mine was
network-installed from Sarge a long time ago, and updated to Hoary via
apt-get/synaptic just recently.  I don't see any mention of the
initrd.img file in your steps mentioned above...  The Ubuntu kernel does
require the initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-powerpc to also be stored on the MacOS
9 partition.  You can put it pretty much anywhere you want, as long as
it's not in the Linux Kernels folder.  I have it in the root directory
on mine.  Choose the Options button, check the box for "use specified
ramdisk", then click "Choose" and browse to find the initrd.img file.
Once you get back to the main BootX window, fill in 8192 for the ramdisk
size, then "Save to Prefs".  My kernel options line has:
hda=ide-scsi quiet splash

--
  - justdave