Which Nvidia driver to install?

rodrigo ahumada rodahum1978 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 24 00:34:05 UTC 2004

>From: Ari Torhamo <ari.torhamo at luukku.com>
>To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>Subject: Which Nvidia driver to install?
>Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:09:43 +0200
>
>Hello,
>
>A problem: I would like to install Nvidia graphics card drivers to my PC
>and to two others, but I don't know which driver to use. There are two
>different instructions in Wiki to do the installation and both suggest
>to install a different driver.
>
>http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/BinaryDriverHowto
>http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/FinishInstallationHowto
>
>The first one suggests to install the package nvidia-glx from one of the
>preconfigured repositories. The second one suggests to download the file
>NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run from Nvidia's web page and install
>it. Neither of the pages in any way seem to refer to the other and I
>have no way to know which one to follow. Perhaps these pages should be
>merged and/or more info be put in to allow users to do better choices?
>Does either of these installation procedures some way give a better
>result? Do I get a more fresh driver from Nvidia's download page? It
>came to my mind too that maybe both of these methods do the same thing
>and I would get an identical driver installation regardless which one of
>the methods I choose.
>
>Anyone awake? ...oh yes, it's not two o'clock in the night for everyone
>on the list :-)
>
>Ari

the official driver from nvidia has two parts: the module (nvidia.ko) and
the glx (core for opengl libs).

nvidia-glx.deb it's the second and depends on
linux-XXXX-restricted-modules.deb than contains nvidia.ko.

if you install from nvidia official, you must reinstall nvidia.ko every time
you upgrade your kernel, vg "sh NVIDIA-installer-pkg.run
--kernel-module-only" (the kernel needs to match version with modules)

--------
i got  some issues with the latest drivers from nvidia (X simply hangs), so
i used NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg0.run, but that version has no idea
about udev, and i got to make dev nodes by hand...