Easytag : how to do mass renaming ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 22 03:19:58 UTC 2004

> Vince, here's the sure-fire way to do it. Ready to learn the power of
> the command line?

Yes, I like the command like and text/curses UIs :-)

> Use synaptic to install mp3info. Don't get the gui version, get the
> 125k command line version.

I was lucky, Synpatic downloaded even less than that, only 25KB ! :-)

> Put your collection of files in a single folder. Make sure they're the
> only mp3s in the folder.

Yep, that's what I did, like if it was a proper Album.

> Example: in your folder type "mp3info *.mp3" and press return.
> Let's set the comment field. Type: mp3info -c "tag this" *.mp3
> So, to make all your mp3s part of the same "album" just enter
> mp3info -l "my album" *.mp3
> To make them all the same artist, type
> mp3info -a "the artist" *.mp3

Wow..... I love this program already !! :o)
Now I can download anything with P2P, and easily and cleanly integrate
them into Rhythmbox !! :o)

And whilst I was in Synpatic, searching for mp3info, I noticed next to
it, a program called "mp3gain", that analyzes mp3 files and modyfies
them so that they all play with the same volume !
If will try it, and that works, I promise I will buy a Penguin plush and
kiss it every morning !
I have about 300 mp3 of all kinds in a folder, that I play at random
with XMMS. Sometimes, one of the songs play reall ymuch more loud than
the others, scare the shit out of me, and I must jump on my mouse and
rush to XMMS to stop it, befor emy ears explode ! :-O
If really that piece of prgram does what it says on the tin, then it
will bring peace of mind, and I will really enjoy listening to my mp3's
much more than I do now.
Synpatic just seems full of super marvelous programs, it's just
fantastic. :-)))

Still, as I said, out of the 27 songs, one of them generate a GStreamer
error in Rhtymbox, so it won't import it... :o(
mp3info did modify the tag properly, but still, Rhythmbox doesn't like
this particular song.. :-/

Vince