Can't unmount USB volume

Fabien Meghazi amigrave at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 16:16:32 UTC 2004

> FAM is known to be buggy, i'm sorry to say. Go around googlin' (and
> bugs.debian.org-ing... ;) ) and see by yourself. It's not a problem of
> only Warty.

I agree, I always had 2 sort of problems with FAM in debian.

1) unmouting devices such as usb or cdrom sometimes are refused "device busy"
a /etc/init.d/fam restart won't hurt me but for the user discovering
linux world it could be
a little confusing because if you don't know about famd you don't know
what to do.

2) sometimes famd takes 100%, not always with the same programs and
not everytime
again, a /etc/init.d/fam restart will drop the cpu load

my two cents