Applications in next Ubuntu

Le grand pinguin rm at mh-freiburg.de
Wed Dec 15 15:08:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 03:33:02PM +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> > Open Office -- only for WIMPS! Nobody here in my team uses it!
>
> Yeah, Abiword and Gnumeric are uch faster and better looking ! And it's
> the officail Gnome Offcice suite anyway, so it really ought to be
> Ubuntu's default, not OpenOffice !
> Same for Firefox, that's HARDLY a Gnome app in any way or shape.
> Epiphany is the Gnome browser, it works very well.
> Sometimes it lacks flexibility and I would like to Use Galeon, another
> Gnome browser, but I didn't find it in sYnpatic, not in even in
> Universe ! :-/////////////
> I n my opinion, Ubuntu ought to ship with Abiword, Gnumeric, Epiphany
> and Galeon, and put OpenOffice and firefox in Synaptic, ony a click away
> for those who want non-Gnome apps.

Well, for us (see below) AbiWord is probably more than we ever need
but for users comming from the MS-Word Experience Abi-Word seems to
be pretty disapointing (i have to adimit that the verw times i had a look
at it i was pretty disappointed myself).
And for Galeon: it requires 'mozilla-browser' so where's the difference
(and it has that highly anoying habbit of not starting _unless_ the whole
Gnome Desktop shmooze is up and running as well :-/

> > VI is enough - oh, le'me see, i just edited my kernel compile params
> > for my Dec Unix with ed. Seems to be all i need for serious work ... ;-)
>
> Same here, Albeit with IBM AIX machines and VI ;-)

Yes! nerver could get Linux up and running on my two PPC/AIX boxes.

> > Is it really so irritating to see apps in the menu one doesn't use?
>
> It's not.. as long as there only a few of them. It would be irritating,
> if there were a dozen un-used apps to search through everytime you need
> the one andonly app you ever start ! :-O

Well, there seems to be a need for a good menu structure - i seldom use
them (no Gnome environment) but whenever i use some other box the 25-Entry
menues drive me crazzy - whoever is responsible for that never read Macintosh
Human Interface Guidelines from the late 80s ....

> > Maybe suggest a config app (gui?) to easily enable/disable menu entries.
>
> Oh no ! If there are too many apps, then don't just hide the menu
> entry ! Other wise you will forgot what's on your system and drag tons
> of unused programs uselessly ! :-/
> Better to leave the icon, but add an option "Remove this program from
> the system". This way after a fresh install, people can quickly remove
> all the apps teh don't want, and have a clean menu (AND system !).

That's indeed another good option - can't one just drag the icon to the
trash? That's what i'd expect as an old-time Mac user.

 Cheers RalfD