Priority of ALSA sound modules (snd_usb_audio and snd_intel8x0)

Ivo Marino eim at mentors.debian.net
Wed Dec 15 07:38:12 UTC 2004

Hello folks,

On my Warty workstation I have an on-board AC97 sound card
(snd_intel8x0) and external PWC based QuickCam with integrated
mcircophone (snd_usb_audio).

My problem is that the ALSA registers the QuickCam's USB microphone as
primary audio device on boot, the AC97 sound card instead becomes the
secondary audio device.

This quite annoying process is caused IMHO by hotplug which configures
the QuickCam's microphone before ALSA configures the internal AC97 sound
card, based upon this theory I've tried to blacklist snd_usb_audio
in /etc/hotplug/blacklist but this hasn't solved anything.

Anyone in here solved this problem and has assigned the correct priority
to the audio devices (AC97 first, QuickCam microphone second)?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Regards,

 I.

--
   .''`.   Ivo Marino <eim at mentors.debian.net>
  : :' :   irc.FreeNode.net chan #debian-mentors
  `. ``    UIN 32463141 + JID eim at jabber.linux.it
    `-     Homepage http://mentors.debian.net/~eim/