fonts in ubu sucking, was: Windows typography reproduction

Noah Dain noahdain at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 18:40:37 UTC 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:16:21 -0500, Travis Newman
<panickedthumb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>

> >>I do find that fonts on my Ubuntu boxes are far worse than in Fedora
> >>Core. Why is that, when they're both Linux? FC1 isn't using Xorg, it's
> >>still on XFree86, and it's far superior in default look.
> >

> > That's one of the things I noticed when I left Windows for Linux, the
> > fonts didn't look very 'crips'/neat/clear/sharp.
> > I got used to it now, but I would not mind understanding the exact
> > technical reason why it is  like this, and why it is not fixed, and if
> > there is hope that we will some day have cleaner/cripser fonts.
> >

> > Vince, curious....

> That link will fix things up for you :)

oh, these fonts r00l now.

fix posted here for posterity (shamlessly ripped from ubu-forums link above):

~/.fonts.conf

### start ###

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
  <match target="font">
    <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
      <bool>true</bool>