Definitive Mono Installation Guide for Ubuntu?

Steve Deobald steve at cityhost.ca
Sun Dec 12 10:19:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-12 at 11:09 -0500, Matt Philmon wrote:
> Can anyone offer up a DEFINITIVE, detailed guide for installing mono
> for general use AND for development (using MonoDevelop)? I'd also
> sincerely appreciate a detailed guide to building mono, customized if
> need be, for the Ubuntu distro (Hoary preferred).

Hi Matt,

>From what I've seen, there isn't much in the way of a definitive guide
right now. I would suggest you track your experiences with Mono on
Ubuntu in the Ubuntu wiki to help others through these problems.

However, as for an immediate solution, I would recommend looking into
the recently released Mono 1.1.3. It has an entirely new build system
which simplifies the entire process of building from source (the recent
1.0.5 stable release does not contain the new build system yet). Since
you're running Hoary already, running a development release of Mono
probably isn't a big deal - plus you'll get all of the great performance
improvements which don't exist in 1.0.x. :)

If you do find a definitive guide for Mono on Ubuntu, we would love to
hear about it at www.gotmono.net, since we currently don't have one.
We're setting up a centralized Mono user community, and installation
guides will be important for our new Linux friends and .NET converts.

--
Steve Deobald
cityhost.ca