Audigy LS and Ubuntu

Mike White lists1 at b0nk.org
Mon Dec 6 19:07:20 UTC 2004

Bnonn wrote:

> Hi everyone, I have a Creative Soundblaster Audigy LS which I'm trying
> to get working in Ubuntu. I understand that the LS is supported by Alsa
> 1.0.7. Since I had installed Warty (which comes with 1.0.5), I added all
> of Hoary's repos to my repo list, and did an apt-get update && apt-get
> upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade (whether or not this means I am
> technically running Hoary now I am not entirely certain; could someone
> clarify?)
>
> Synaptic now lists my current Alsa version as being 1.0.7, which is what
> I need for Audigy LS support, however I'm not sure what else I need to
> do to get Ubuntu to recognize the soundcard and load the drivers for it.
> Alsamixer currently only shows my BT TV card. The soundcard shows up ok
> in the device manager, and I know it's working. I'm just not sure what
> manual steps are needed to configure it correctly.

ALSA kernel drivers are actually inside the 2.6 kernel.  You'll probably
have to do something like this:

1. get kernel source for currently installed kernel
2. patch it with alsa 1.0.7
3. recompile
4. shoot self in head

I could be wrong.  This is what i found out shortly before i returned my
Audigy LS. :)