Ubuntu on Mac G3 B&W not booting

Henry Keultjes hbkeultjes at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 4 21:41:22 UTC 2004

I have redone the download and burned the CD at 4x (the lowest possible on the Plexstor)
and still the results are the same.

Will someone please confirm that someone actually did a raw install on
a Mac from this very ISO?  Obviously there can be problems that will not show up with
upgrades.   I don't mind being the guinea pig as long as I know.

Will someone tell me who is responsible for testing UbuntuPPC before it is made
available for distribution?

Henry Keultjes

For the last month I, with the help from people at NCOLUG, I have been
trying to get an OpenPower (PowerPC) based Mini-ITX system up and running
so that I can demo UbuntuPPC and KDE.  However, we are having U-Boot
problems and so I am trying to get an UbuntuPPC/KDE demo going on a Mac G3
B&W 350 Mhz - the original chip.  I removed the 500Mhz upgrade chip just to
make sure that was not the cause of the problem.

After the ISO CD, which I downloaded from the main Ubuntu server in the UK,
loads, the system boots but then hangs with this on the screen:

audit (3873799391.335:0):  initialized
Starting Ubuntu . . .
pivot_root : No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 429: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic : Attempted to kill init!

That stays on the screen for perhaps three or four minutes and then the
system says "No Input Signal" and  reboots.  Note that the audit number
changes every time it attempts to reboot.  The reboots seem to go on
indefinitely untill I power the system down.

If this problem needs to get resolved by redoing the CD, then I would ask
if someone could make me a CD without Gnome so that I can load KDE myself
or that KDE be loaded on the CD instead of Gnome.

I also surmise that there is an RPC server included, something I absolutely
do not want on the system because it is a huge security hole.  Can CD's be
made without that?

Normally one would try to fix this kind of problem by loading a fix from
a floppy.  The Mac obviously does not have floppies, it only has a CD and a
ZIP drive which we obviously could replace with a USB floppy.

I am sincerely looking for solutions so that I can get my UbuntuPPC
promotions started.  We had the LUG meeting last night and not having
UbuntuPPC and KDE to demo was a great disappointment.  I hope that I can
get help to resolve this soon.

Henry Keultjes http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5009
Mansfield Ohio USA
hbthenlastname