installing from cd-rom

Petri Pennanen suvarin at home.se
Sat Dec 4 18:48:37 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 20:14 +0200, loom loom wrote:
> I have downloaded today the iso imagie for i386 and burned it on cd rom to
> proceed with my installation. However i cant boot from the cdrom that i have
> placed the iso. I use Compaq Presario X1030us Interl Centrino 1.4Ghz laptop.
> And it didnt boot from the cdrom even i made changes on my bios to boot from
> cdrom.

The CD doesn't boot at all? No error messages?

It sounds like you burnt a data CD instead of a bootable CD. If you can
see an iso-file on the CD this is what happened. Try to create a
bootable CD with your burning program. If you don't know how to do this
please tell use what burning program you have and we'll help you.

If the boot fails with errors, please tell us what they say as exactly
as possible.

> If i would ever start with installation I would like to repartition one of my 3
> partition to open space for Ubuntu. Will it be possible to do that thru
> installation(some linuxes provide tools to do that during installation).

I think this depends on your file system. Resizing of MS Windows
filesystems (ntfs and fat32) is not supported by the Warty installer as
far as I know.

- Petri