installing from cd-rom

Nathan Sprangers wolfe at cwazy.co.uk
Sat Dec 4 18:39:29 UTC 2004

loom loom wrote:

> I have downloaded today the iso imagie for i386 and burned it on cd
> rom to proceed with my installation. However i cant boot from the
> cdrom that i have placed the iso. I use Compaq Presario X1030us Interl
> Centrino 1.4Ghz laptop. And it didnt boot from the cdrom even i made
> changes on my bios to boot from cdrom.
> I have tried to check site from other files if they were needed to
> boot from cdrom, I have downloaded files from
> http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/IsoImage and downloaded files
> debian-cd_info.tar.tar, vmlinuz.txt,initrd.txt,initrd_list.txt(even i
> didnt get txt files would do with cd boot)
>
> I have also added those files to the folder and burned on cdrom
> alltogether once more, and I failed once more and without any wonder
> it didnt initiate with the installation. Honestly, I don't think its a
> matter of my laptop, but there might be somethingelse I might be
> inneed of and hardly can say website has been helpfull at all.

It sounds to me like you've simply burned the .iso file to the cd, as in
when you open the cd in windows it just shows the .iso file.  The image
is like a snapshot of a cd and needs to be written bit for bit to the
cd  as its own filesystem.  I'm not sure what software you need to use
to do this on windows, but usually your computer comes with something
that allows you to burn a disk image.

> Whats that i am in need or missing? and what suggestion would you
> make? If i would ever start with installation I would like to
> repartition one of my 3 partition to open space for Ubuntu. Will it be
> possible to do that thru installation(some linuxes provide tools to do
> that during installation).

Yes, Ubuntu installer comes with a partitioner that will allow you to
delete a partition and then create a new ext3 partition in that empty space.
~Nathan