Booting Warty on a Beige G3 Tower

David Miller justdave at bugzilla.org
Sat Dec 4 17:14:06 UTC 2004

Nathan Sprangers wrote:

> Finally, you'll need to specify the root device, so in "More kernel
> options" type root=/dev/hdc.  This will boot with the cdrom as the root
> device, so the last step is to hit the "Linux" button and you're good to
> go!

> If this doesn't work for you or doesn't make sense let me know.  This is
> what I did on a Beige G3 DT which is virtually the same as what you're
> trying to install on, so good luck!

I also have a Beige G3 DT, but just as a point of confusion...  :)  I'm
not sure why, but on my Beige, the hard drive is /dev/hdc, and my CD-ROM
drive is /dev/hda.  Threw me for a major loop when I was trying to do
the initial installs, because it kept telling me the hard drive was
read-only :)

To be fair, I did get it used, and I have no idea what the former owner
did to it.  It does have an internal Jazz drive which is non-functional,
so I imagine some wires were swapped at some point trying to make the
Jazz drive work.

--
Dave Miller      Project Leader, Bugzilla Bug Tracking System
http://www.justdave.net/             http://www.bugzilla.org/