Booting Warty on a Beige G3 Tower

Nathan Sprangers wolfe at cwazy.co.uk
Sat Dec 4 16:43:49 UTC 2004

xico wrote:

>Hi Ubence
>How did you set your system to get to the Ubuntu Installer?
>Thanks

If you haven't already, check out
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/InstallOnOldWorldMacs. I just noticed,
however, that instructions on using BootX to boot from the installation
CD were not included.  Here's how I did it, but I'll add this to the wiki:

Once you've installed BootX on a Mac OS partition (put "Linux Kernels"
in the System Folder and the BootX extension in the extensions folder -
BootX app can go pretty much anywhere, but Control Panels is a good
place) insert your Ubuntu PowerPC install disc so you can copy the
vmlinux and initrd.gz files to the "Linux Kernels" folder.  These files
are both located at install/powerpc on the install disc.

Next you'll run the BootX App.  The kernel selected by default should be
the one you copied (vmlinux) but you'll need to specify a RAM disk
(initrd.gz) so select Options... and check "Use Specified RAM Disk"  If
you're not prompted to browse to a RAM disk image then hit the choose
button and browse to the initrd.gz file that you copied to your Mac OS
partition.

Finally, you'll need to specify the root device, so in "More kernel
options" type root=/dev/hdc.  This will boot with the cdrom as the root
device, so the last step is to hit the "Linux" button and you're good to go!

Note: I'm not sure if this last step is necessary if when selecting a
RAM disk you browse to the one that's on the CD as opposed to one that
you've copied to your hard drive.

If this doesn't work for you or doesn't make sense let me know.  This is
what I did on a Beige G3 DT which is virtually the same as what you're
trying to install on, so good luck!
~Nathan