Installing under Microsoft Virtual PC

craigsn ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed Dec 1 18:49:13 UTC 2004

Then do "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"

Pick a really low resolution and color depth (right now it's working
for me at 640x480 and 8bits depth...haven't tried higher settings
yet). I also didn't use the kernel framebuffer. Worked for
me.

Ok, I did that, but there were many options. And it doesn't work for
me. Any help on the rest of the option would be helpful.

Here is what happens.
Boot to the point where a diaglog says "I cannot start the X Server
(your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up
correctly. Would you like to view the X Server output to diagnose the
problem?"
I say yes, not knowing what i'm looking at. And it doesn't help me to
diagnose anything.
There is another dialog about the X Server, similar to the first, and
it also says it will show me the data to help diagnose the problem, but
it doesn't help either.

So I can boot ubuntu into text mode, but nothing else.

Help, suggestions?

Thanks
Craig

--