Possible State Meeting Solutions

Brandon Tomlinson thebwt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 01:41:09 GMT 2009

It is possible to make a system of voting, controlled discussion, and
whatever else we need in any medium we decide to undertake. To reiterate, we
can do all these things via any medium, the catch is that some mediums are
better for certain types of communication.

I will agree that Google's WAVE framework can handle them all beautifully.
However, I think there are other factors to be considered.

   - Email is the de facto standard for netizen ('Web'ulary educated
   peoples) communication.
      - Any sort of important democratic functions (Debate and votes), needs
      to be closely tied to Email because of their importance.
         - Forums do this via subscriptions
         - Mailing lists do this inherently
         - IRC doesn't do this.
         - Wave doesn't do this (yet, this would be a great bot idea, but if
         we're talking bots, then an IRC bot could do it just as well)
      - Wave is still very young, Google's hosted wave service is via
   invitation only at the moment (yes invites are easier to find that hookers
   in Las Vegas, but still, it is a barrier to entry).
   - Waves interface is still being hammered out and isn't the most simple
   medium.

Wave may be a great venue later on, but I'm of the opinion that it just
isn't ready yet.

Here is how we can cope:

   - We need to understand the purpose of "IRC meetings".
      - Really needs to be for clarification of ideas, quick Q&A's.
      - We need to do a better structure for irc discussions. I mesed up in
      the last meeting by using +m so late in the game. I Should have cycled +v
      around and given people the floor so that they could present the
discussion
      topic, then open the floor ( -m) to discussion, allowing for 5 minutes of
      discussion on each topic. At the topic owner's request, closing
the floor so
      he or she could make a more concise point about his discussion.
      - IRC shouldn't be for voting because not everyone can make it there
      on time. Votes should be held over a period.
      - IRC should be used for rapid communication and discussion of a
      larger topic.
   - We need to keep Important discussion strictly on the mailing list.
      - Keep updates from any irc meetings posted to the list so that the
      discussion stays coherent.
      - Keep discussion in coherent threads! Be very careful about this, it
      is irritating, but at the same time, mistakes happen.
   - We need to decide a method of web based democracy (Forum polls, email
   talies, IRC voting, etc, etc)
      - Forum polls are nice because we can all vote and it keeps track of
      everything. It is very transparent.
      - Certain votes shouldn't be open to everyone.
         - Example: Austin Citizens shouldn't be voting on Killeen issues,
         unless allowed to do so by the consensus of Killeen.
      - We can do this over mailing lists easily as well, just have to count
      things up by hand.
      - If we felt like getting really fancy, we could design a 'bot' system
      that managed web democracy. The system would be in IRC and on the mailing
      list (and perhaps on google wave). The bot would keep track of
running votes
      and manage voting groups. The bot could also keep track of all
      discussion.... this is more a draft of an idea and if we want to do
      something liek this we can start a new topic.

So organize our debates, keep them coherent, keep them accessible.