[Ubuntu PA] Possible New NTR Project

Kevin Valentine kevin.valentine at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 20:21:29 BST 2008

Chris Teodorski wrote:
> I think you guys are going to kill yourselves with complexity here.  I
> really think that because there is no uniformity in where things are
> stored in windows (lots of programs default to their installation
> location), that you will never be able to script a backup of data that
> doesn't end with someone angry because their data got deleted.  I
> think the NTR's policy of back-up your data before you come to us is
> the best policy, in other words, we are "scorching earth here,
> survivors are your responsibility."

At this point we're just tossing around ideas.  Jim and I are staying
focused on NTR's primary requirement: using Linux to restore a WinXP
image.  However, the problem of backing up personal data exists.  If
anyone on the LoCo thinks they have a clever solution, they're welcome
to go for it.  It's completely separate from what what me and Jim are
doing AND it's totally optional.  So it won't slow us down.

I totally agree that providing a script or application to automate it
would be very difficult.  IMO, providing the user with a simple tutorial
so they can do a manual backup won't be too difficult.  As Art
suggested, perhaps some wink animation.  We just need to show the user
how to mount the Windows drive, then drag and drop the files from their
personal folders to a CD/DVD burn app or even just a thumb drive.
Nothing fancy.

> I honestly think just getting a dual boot system that works on 80% of
> machines will be a challenge enough....

Yep, I agree on this too.  We set up dual booters for the Girls Inc.
project but all those PCs were the same.  The variations in the hardware
will definitely make this a challenge.  I'm hoping the LoCo volunteers
will come rolling in when we finally get the go ahead.

-kevin