[Ubuntu PA] Possible New NTR Project

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Mon Sep 15 02:59:06 BST 2008

On Sunday 14 September 2008 13:32:53 Chris Teodorski wrote:
> really think that because there is no uniformity in where things are
> stored in windows (lots of programs default to their installation
> location), that you will never be able to script a backup of data that
> doesn't end with someone angry because their data got deleted.  I
> think the NTR's policy of back-up your data before you come to us is
> the best policy, in other words, we are "scorching earth here,
> survivors are your responsibility."

Most of the programs that store data with the executables are the type with a
single database and are usually either very old, or are some type of
custom "vertical" business app.  The latter not being the kind of stuff that
NTR customers are likely to have.  Games with saved settings and scores are
another problem, but losing your high scores is not like losing your Quicken
or TurboTax data.

While I agree that it should be the owner's responsibility, detailed
instructions are in order and appropriate.  I mentioned a multi-platform wink
animation that runs under both the windows and ubuntu partition.  Supplement
it with a brochure with screen shots that the customer gets at time of
purchase and can get another copy from NTR if they lose the original.