[ubuntu-us-mn] Update on ShipIt request

Fred H Olson fholson at cohousing.org
Wed May 7 12:38:39 BST 2008

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Richard Laager wrote:

> I'm a big skeptic, but I really doubt that anyone in your target group
> is going to actually use an Ubuntu CD if you send them one. Part of that
> will be an issue of time and mail volume and the other will likely be an
> IT security issue. (What IT staffer is going to let a representative
> boot untrusted code on their machine?)
>
> If you want to educate politicians about open source, I'd say you should
> focus on business and policy aspects. For example, maybe you want the
> state government to only procure software that uses open standards (or
> is open source).

I agree with Richard. I expect most CD's given to politicans unsolicited
would go to waste.  Havig some to give politicans or others who request
them would make sense.  Emphasize the live cd aspect since it makes no
changes and is an easy way to try.

Fred

Communications for Justice -- Free, superior listserv's w/o ads:
http://justcomm.org      My Link Pg: http://fholson.cohousing.org
612-588-9532 (7am-10pm CST/CDT)   Email: fholson at cohousing.org