[ubuntu-us-mn] Update on ShipIt request

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed May 7 10:04:55 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 03:53 -0500, Tony Yarusso wrote:
> In line with the idea of getting local politicians more aware of
> Ubuntu and open source

I think this is a great goal.

> I placed a request at https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ a few weeks back for
> 214 official pressed CDs of 8.04

I think this is a terrible idea.

> Unfortunately, due to the limited resources available ShipIt was only
> able to grant 50 CDs.

I think you should cancel this order ASAP an leave ShipIt for people
that really need it.

>   The way I see it, this leaves us three options for this project:
>
> 1.)  All of you place your own requests on the ShipIt web site and get
> two friends to do the same.

Obviously, I think this is bad.

I'm a big skeptic, but I really doubt that anyone in your target group
is going to actually use an Ubuntu CD if you send them one. Part of that
will be an issue of time and mail volume and the other will likely be an
IT security issue. (What IT staffer is going to let a representative
boot untrusted code on their machine?)

If you want to educate politicians about open source, I'd say you should
focus on business and policy aspects. For example, maybe you want the
state government to only procure software that uses open standards (or
is open source).

Richard