Next meeting/installfest

Daniel Hollocher ubuntu-us-ma at openleadership.org
Fri Mar 7 04:09:55 GMT 2008

Ok, so here is a mini presentation on what I have done:

What I want from my linux OS is for it to naturally turn me into a power
user.  That means command line.  The problem was that allot of the GUIs
don't give any hint whatsoever as to the CLI methods.  Network configuration
is a main example for me.  I used the gui to setup my network ok, and I was
aware of the CLI method, but not sure how to use it.  I thought, "Damn it, I
want that GUI to teach me, rather than just do it for me!"

I felt (and still feel) that editing those projects would be impossible for
me, and my requests would probably be added to a large ignore pile
somewhere.  So, I began poking around to see what I could accomplish, which
follows:

The project that I have coded uses the following primary technologies:
python, the python html parser, the vte module from GNOME (which is a
terminal emulator), and GTK.  The practical goal of this project is to
create an html-like format which can represent and document the activities
of a CLI user.  (In comparison, regular html represents a collage, like the
ones you find from 5th grade science fair projects)  From this format, a GUI
is created which can perform the activities, and does so in a completely
transparent manner.  This serves the purposes of training and security,
which we can discuss later.

To see the project in action, you have two options.  Watch some videos that
I made, or run it yourself.
To run it yourself, install python-vte, and download CLIML.py and one of the
.climl files, from either the demos or tests folders.
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~danielhollocher/climl/html_tag/files
Execute CLIML.py with one of the .climl filenames as an argument, for
example: ./CLIML.py demos/Using_The_Terminal.climl

To watch a video demo, go here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dxAwjwFIWIQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kks74om0cG0

These vids are far from perfect, and run a little long.  They are intended
for people who can't demo the project themselves.  So, if you manage to demo
the project yourself, I would expect you to find the videos boring.
Additionally, there is allot of repetition between the two vids.  But, do
whatever.

Dan

--
In science and in mind, the impossible and the hasn't-happened-yet are
indistinguishable.