Proposition

Steve Pomeroy steve at staticfree.info
Sat Dec 8 17:11:18 GMT 2007

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 10:01:18PM -0500, Martin Owens wrote:
> Yes but Mako has built his name into something other than an empty
> anonymous shell. We know who we're talking about and he's rather not
> see his Mako name brought into disrepute.

Right. So it's about how the name is used, not so much about the name
itself. As long as it's consistent and not too noisy.

I do understand what you're trying to shy away from, but

> > Flat-out requiring someone to edit their launchpad account to reflect
> > their real name for one particular group is absurd and well beyond
> > what any group should ask of anyone.
>
> We have to find a way, I may just remove everyone and ask those in the
> mailing list to add themselves to the group; Then I can add people I
> recognise and thus have used a name which has some weight.

Why do we need to do this? Is it really critical to remove dead weight?

> I would still strongly recommend the use of a persons real name when
> talking in public. If someone wanted to hide what they say from their
> students then they shouldn't say it, students have a right to find
> what their teacher says in _public_ just like everyone else can search
> for what the people they know say in public. Perhaps people should be
> more concerned with not saying things in public and keeping things
> private.

What if it's young kids and things pertaining to the person's sexuality?
(as is in the case I cited) I think your sense of how things should be
needs to account for people who aren't you in situations that aren't
yours.