Proposition

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 03:01:18 GMT 2007

> I disagree with this idea strongly. It's rather common in the open
> source world to go by one's handle near-exclusively. For example, as
> is common knowledge, "Mako" is not his real name.

Yes but Mako has built his name into something other than an empty
anonymous shell. We know who we're talking about and he's rather not
see his Mako name brought into disrepute.

> Flat-out requiring someone to edit their launchpad account to reflect
> their real name for one particular group is absurd and well beyond
> what any group should ask of anyone.

We have to find a way, I may just remove everyone and ask those in the
mailing list to add themselves to the group; Then I can add people I
recognise and thus have used a name which has some weight.

I would still strongly recommend the use of a persons real name when
talking in public. If someone wanted to hide what they say from their
students then they shouldn't say it, students have a right to find
what their teacher says in _public_ just like everyone else can search
for what the people they know say in public. Perhaps people should be
more concerned with not saying things in public and keeping things
private.

Although again IRC isn't really an issue so much and we can have a
nice debate at the meeting (or tomorrow if I ever get out of this
hospital)

Best Regards, Martin Owens