Ubuntu MASSACHUSETTS InstallFest

Aaron Haviland orion at parsed.net
Wed Aug 29 19:36:15 BST 2007

Martin Owens wrote, on Aug 29, 2007 at 14:14 EDT:
> So long as you realise that some of us will have to set out 3 days in
> advance to walk to Massachusetts West; I mean it's all very well
> complaining about the lack of parking and roads in Boston but what
> about the lack of public transport (viable and none extortionate etc)
> for the rest of the state?
>
> Did you look at the map? geographically Massachusetts is Boston
> centric, I mean look at the roads, the way they radiate out and
> concentrate on that one place for good reason.
>
> So when you can pledge to come pick people up and drop them back off
> for meetings we can consider going to other parts of the state for our
> general meetings; otherwise we can be fair and have local meetings
> which report back and if there is enough interest and activity locally
> then we can organise local events. At the moment 1 person does not a
> group make.
>
> We did talk about having a state wide installfest tour, and if this is
> the kind of thing that will appease you then we can bring it forwards
> from next year with your help.
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
> On 29/08/2007, Mike <lake.wind77 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Well put Michelle!
> >
> > I too am from Western Massachusetts (Amherst area) and I get
> > tired of people considering Massachusetts being JUST the
> > Boston area (Bostoncentric). I'm not specifically referring to
> > Ubuntu MA when I say that. It's a lot of things including our
> > representation at the state government level. But if Ubuntu MA
> > is truly going to be a "Massachusetts" group, then the rest of
> > the state needs to be considered when meetings are being
> > scheduled. Either that or we could try to start up a Western
> > Massachusetts chapter on our own and maybe even include
> > Southern Vermont in it as well.
> >
> > I would love to contribute to Ubuntu MA, go to meetings and
> > installfests but unless meetings are going to be flexible and
> > in places that are more convenient (other than just the
> > eastern part of this great Commonwealth), then I won't be
> > participating.
> >
> > Last time I was in Boston was more than 20 years ago to attend
> > a Bruins game and it was a nightmare (traffic wise) that I
> > won't soon forget. For me it's just too difficult driving into
> > Boston with the traffic, finding parking, etc... Too much
> > aggravation and who needs that? Not me.
> >
> > I think your idea about having a few of the meetings and
> > installfests at places like UMASS Amherst or Greenfield
> > Community College is fantastic! GCC would be ideal. Plus, even
> > for folks in the eastern part of the state, it's a lot easier
> > finding parking around here and there's hardly any traffic to
> > contend with (until you head back home again to Boston). Sure
> > you'd have to leave Boston but wouldn't you rather spend time
> > in quiet, comfortable, beautiful surroundings rather than in
> > the heart of the city? Wouldn't that be nice once in a while?
> >
> > Mike

So why not compromise and do it in Worcester? Commuter rails run there,
and WRTA has bussing as well. I should think *Central* MA is a
reasonable compromise for avoiding a Boston vs. Western MA war :)

Maybe doing something with WLUG (wlug.org). They usually meet at WPI.

--
Aaron Haviland
34 Wayne Ave, Dudley, MA                       home:  [508] 943 - 7974