[ubuntu-us-in] ubuntu for the classroom

Brian Fahrlander wheeldweller at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 22:44:57 GMT 2009

Randy Heiland wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone offer any first-hand experience with using Ubuntu in the
> K-12 public classroom?  I just joined a tech committee for a new
> charter school (grades 7-9) that's suppose to start here in Columbus,
> IN next fall.  I would like to promote the use of Linux for the
> computer lab, etc., but suspect that Windows will win out due to other
> people's pro-Windows stance.  I'd welcome any comments people might
> have and whether or not there are part-time sysadmins to be found.
> And I'm aware of the Indiana Access/Linux program as I talked to some
> of the people behind it, but that's been several years ago and I
> haven't followed its progress.  Anyone know if there's a mailing list,
> etc, for that program?

    I've heard rumors of it, too; nothing in concrete. Especially since
we're on the opposite end of the state from whence it came.  :(

   But there is the http://www.k12ltsp.org/contents.html website.

   They're tightly tied to a K-12 organization that can be all KINDS of
help to you; special repos, tips-n-tricks, a little hand-holding here
and there...

   They're not _strictly_ Ubuntu, but they support it, too.

    LTSP is a means of using ultra-cheap, ultra-reliable older machines
to connect via ssh and X to a main machine, where all the user
information and such resides. It can be VERY cost effective as well as
keeping control that's hard to get with standalone computers.

    Enjoy!

 Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
 Evansville, IN                               http://CounterMoon.org/bio
 ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller