My questions

Nicholas Wilson wilsonnck at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 12:59:57 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 17:28 -0500, Eliott Turner wrote:
> Phillip
>
> I hope I am not being to confusing. I am not connecting to the
> internet via my Ethernet card. I am using my wireless card. So when I
> login to Ubuntu my wlan0 is down. I can do ifconfig wlan0 up to turn
> it on. But I do not get the the nice pull down menu to select my
> wireless access point.
>
> eliott

It can actually be much easier to connect wirelessly from the
commandline than you think ;). Once your wireles interface (wlan0) is up
in ifconfig you should be able to use the following to search for
wireless networks to connect to:

$ iwlist wlan0 scan

That should give you a nice list of networks with their ESSIDs. To
connect to one of them use iwconfig and dhclient like so:

$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "myNetwork"
$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
$ sudo dhclient wlan0