My questions

Phillip Tarrant ptarrant at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 13:06:04 GMT 2009

wow, thanks nick didn't know that.
I'll throw that in my "ubuntu notes" in tomboy (love that APP!)

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Nicholas Wilson <wilsonnck at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 17:28 -0500, Eliott Turner wrote:
> > Phillip
> >
> > I hope I am not being to confusing. I am not connecting to the
> > internet via my Ethernet card. I am using my wireless card. So when I
> > login to Ubuntu my wlan0 is down. I can do ifconfig wlan0 up to turn
> > it on. But I do not get the the nice pull down menu to select my
> > wireless access point.
> >
> > eliott
>
> It can actually be much easier to connect wirelessly from the
> commandline than you think ;). Once your wireles interface (wlan0) is up
> in ifconfig you should be able to use the following to search for
> wireless networks to connect to:
>
> $ iwlist wlan0 scan
>
> That should give you a nice list of networks with their ESSIDs. To
> connect to one of them use iwconfig and dhclient like so:
>
> $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "myNetwork"
> $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
> $ sudo dhclient wlan0

Thanks,
Phillip Tarrant

>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE <<<
This electronic mail message, including any and/or all attachments, is for
the sole use
of the intended recipient(s), and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information,
pertaining to business conducted under the direction and supervision of
Phillip J Tarrant.
Unauthorized interception, review, use, disclosure or distribution of any
such information
contained within this electronic mail message and/or its attachment(s),
is(are) strictly
by replying
to this electronic mail message, along with the destruction of all copies
and
originals of the original electronic mail message (along with any
attachments).