[ubuntu-florida] future ubuntu user seeking an ubuntu guru to help

Martin Wilson martinmwilson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 04:01:03 GMT 2008

That's quite a lot to answer in one e-mail!  First, I personally
recommend downloading Ubuntu.  You can download it and burn it to a CD
so you don't have to wait for the discs (however, the copies you ordered
are definitely not pointless, they're good to have).  Programs like
imgburn can burn the Ubuntu CD image.

Now, about compiz fusion.  You're in luck!  With Ubuntu Gutsy (the
current version), compiz fusion is included by default.  You may however
have to get your video card working (like getting drivers in Windows).
If you can tell us what kind of video card you have that would be
great.  If you don't know, a model number for the computer can help find
the video card type.

About seeing commands.  Nowadays, you can do almost anything to your
computer with a Graphical Interface (a GUI).  However, to make things
quicker, guides usually post things for you to put in a command line.
 From personal experience, I have found it is much more direct and more
fun (yes I said it lol) to use the command line.  However this is not
everyone's preference.  Yet the Linux community in general has a slight
preference for the command line and as such you will see this very
often.  If it's on a forum, asking politely can usually get you an
equivalent GUI.

Good luck, and feel free to hang out on the IRC channel!